Is It Time To Change Your Will And Estate Planning Documents?
Many people create an estate plan and never look back. This can be a mistake. An estate plan is a dynamic document, and as your life changes, your estate plan may need to be revised. At the McMahon Law Firm, we review clients’ existing estate plans and recommend any necessary updates to comply with the family’s changed circumstances and any new developments in the law.
Located in Camillus, a suburb of Syracuse, McMahon Law Firm, Attorneys and Counselors at Law, has been serving the estate planning needs of families throughout upstate New York for more than 20 years.
When Is An Estate Plan Update Necessary?
There are no hard and fast rules for updating an estate plan. However, as time passes, estate plan revisions are often necessary. Signals that your estate plan may require an update include:
- The trustee or beneficiaries of a trust are deceased
- The beneficiaries named in your will are deceased
- The agents named in your power of attorney or health care agent are deceased
- The birth or death of children or grandchildren
- Marriage or remarriage
- Relocation to New York
- If you have acquired a new asset
- If you sold an asset listed in your current estate plan
- If your estate has substantially increased or decreased in value
- Your children have reached age 18
- You want to change the guardians, trustees or beneficiaries named in your current estate planning documents
- You entered a nursing home
At the McMahon Law Firm, our lawyers work closely with clients to keep their estate plans up to date. We review existing estate plans and interview our clients about changes occurring in their lives to allow us to determine whether revisions are necessary. Together, we will strive to ensure that your estate plan continues to serve your needs and the needs of your family.
Contact Us To Revise Your Estate Plan
Updating your estate plan is a necessary part of life. For assistance, call the McMahon Law Firm at 315-849-9053 or 800-391-9987. Together we will help you revise and update your plan to ensure that your property is transferred to the next generation in the most efficient manner possible. Contact us today for a free consultation.