Syracuse Estate Planning Lawyers
Too many people put off or avoid planning their estates. Unfortunately, this places the decision about what happens to your assets in the hands of someone else. It can place the burden of handling your affairs in the probate court or on your family members.
The McMahon Law Firm, in Syracuse, is committed to helping people throughout upstate New York meet their estate planning and Medicaid planning goals. We have helped hundreds of families prepare their estate for the possibility that they will spend some time in a nursing home. We have also helped many families obtain Medicaid to pay for nursing home expenses.
Tools That Help Plan For Your Future
Estate planning is about planning for your future and the future of your heirs. A proper estate plan will:
- Minimize estate taxes while maximizing the assets that you pass on to your heirs
- Include a last will and testament and trusts that take into consideration guardianship issues of minor children
- Include a living will, living trust, power of attorney and health care proxy. These estate planning documents can assist your family in the event that you are incapacitated and need someone to make decisions for you
- Provide direction as to the disposition of your remains
- Prevent disinheritance of children after a second marriage
Our firm also helps clients update existing estate plans to ensure their plans are in line with current laws and their final wishes will be followed.
Medicaid Planning And Estate Planning
Almost 50 percent of elderly Americans will spend some time in a nursing home. Thus, Medicaid planning is an important consideration in the estate planning process. Estate planning is about ensuring that your assets are distributed according to your exact wishes. Medicaid planning is about ensuring that the nursing home costs don’t consume all of your assets and helping to ensure there are assets to distribute.
If you live in Central New York and need an estate planning lawyer, please contact a lawyer at the McMahon Law Firm. We are committed to assuring the wealth you have created during your lifetime is preserved for your heirs.
We serve clients throughout upstate New York, including Onondaga, Cayuga, Oswego and Oneida counties, as well as the cities of Syracuse and Auburn.